I turned 22 last month and it seems like now I need to have my life together, and that of course includes a boyfriend. I graduated college the same month, so along with that relationship I should also have a job and a plan. I should know what I’m doing and where I want to go in life.
But to put it bluntly, I have no fucking clue what I’m doing. I have zero love interests and if I’m being honest I haven’t had a serious relationship since high school because every guy I’ve ~*talked to*~ since in college didn’t want to take it to the next level. So I’ve been practically single for about five or six years now.
Being single isn’t a bad thing; you shouldn’t be frowned upon for not knowing who you’re going to spend the rest of your life with in your twenties, or even thirties for that matter. Sometimes you’re just single because that’s the way it is. You don’t need to constantly explain yourself, but if you do here are some of the real, honest reasons why you might be single to make people shut up and stop asking.
1. You’re single because no one likes you. It’s not a bad thing, you’re not looking for pity, it’s just the truth. You haven’t meant anyone who is crazy about you yet and that’s fine.
2. You’re single because you don’t like anyone who likes you. There might be someone who does like you, who thinks you’re the center of their universe and he can’t imagine his life without you. But you only imagine your life without him because you have no interest in him. Nothing wrong with that either because it’s basically a known fact by now, but you can’t force feelings.
3. You’re single because everyone you think, ‘wow maybe I could see myself dating him’ already has a girlfriend or is married. Like they say, the good ones are already taken but if he wasn’t you’d be all over that.
4. You’re single because you’re selfish. You don’t give a damn about being in a relationship. To you the world is yours and the more options and freedom the better. You don’t need love to make you happy; you’re doing just fine on your own.
5. You’re single because you’re picky. Pick away girl friend, you can be as picky as you want because if you’re going to be spending the rest of your life with someone you sure as hell don’t want to hate the way he lives most of his daily life just because you don’t want to be single. If the way he eats annoys the shit out of you, say ‘see ya!’ because you don’t want to live with that the rest of your life.
6. You’re single because you’re in a new area. It’s not like you just moved in and you’re the hot girl next door (or maybe you are) but you generally aren’t going to move to a new city and be like, ‘BOOM come get me boys’ because they don’t even know you’re there.
7. You’re single because you’re focused on other aspects of your life. You’re not sitting around constantly swiping right or left, you’re not trolling the Internet finding every dating site available (and if you are, good for you. I just downloaded Tinder and it’s fun as hell). You’re more focused on your career, your friends, maybe some other big aspect of your life and you honestly just don’t want a relationship, so don’t feel pressured to get in one.
8. Back to dating apps. You’re single because even though you have one doesn’t mean you’re guaranteed to find love.I’ve talked to some guys on Tinder and let me tell you where it got me… NOWHERE (granted I’ve had it for like two days, but whatever). Just because you have a dating app, doesn’t mean you’re destine you find love because corny pick up lines and dick pics are surely not the way to everyone’s hearts.
9. You’re single because you’re just not into dating guys for ‘fun’ anymore. I would call what I had with several guys throughout college ‘fun’ and now that I’ve graduated I’m over the ‘fun’ part because it got me no where other than feeling shitty about myself and wondering where the hell it was going. I am glad that phase of my life is over and I’d definitely be more satisfied with being single than waiting for someone to decide to text me or not.
10. You’re single because you work from home and don’t go out a ton. Going out is expensive, especially in cities and most people don’t have cash to blow every weekend going out and trying to meet guys. But in all reality, do you really want to date the guy that has some chick bent over grinding on her? Yeah, I didn’t think so.
11. And a bonus just because! You’re single because being single isn’t a bad thing, SO STOP MAKING WOMEN FEEL LIKE IT IS.